About Toronto Wireless

Saturday, June 25, 2011

An overview of Browser Bookmarks on the BlackBerry PlayBook



Posted by Ray Nicolini
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bookmarks
Browsing the web using the BlackBerry® PlayBook™ tablet is a great experience, as you are able to take advantage of everything the web has to offer. Today I’ll be providing an overview of several features built into the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet browser. If you have a question after reading this post make sure you leave a comment and let me know as I may do a post about the question you ask!
With that being said, let’s get started by taking a look at how bookmarks work.
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bookmarks
The first time you open the browser on the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet, you’ll be presented with the bookmarks screen by default. You have the ability to view your bookmarks in a thumbnail view or list view. To change the view, all you need to do is tap on the icon that I’ve circled in red below. You’ll also notice a Pencil icon (circled in Green) which, after tapping it, allows you delete a bookmark by tapping on the trashcan icon (circled in yellow) as per the following screenshot:
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bookmarks
To access your bookmarks while using the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet browser, all you need to do is tap on the gold star icon. To add a new bookmark, browse to the site you’d like to bookmark and tap on the star icon with the green plus symbol next to it. You’ll then notice two options appear, the first being “Add to Bookmarks” followed by “Add to Home Screen”. The first is pretty self-explanatory, and the second is a feature I really like as it allows you to add a thumbnail bookmark to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet home screen. A great way to try this out is by adding the Inside BlackBerry Help Blog to your home screen (Thumbs up! – Ed.)
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bookmarks
If you’d like to remove a bookmark after adding it to the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet home screen, all you need to do is tap and hold on the icon for a few seconds until it starts to pulse. While pulsing, you can drag it to a new location on your home screen, or tap on the X below it to remove it from the home screen completely. I love this feature as it allows me to add my favorite websites to the Favorites view set on my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet!
After you’ve modified your icons, tap on the checkmark that appears in the top left corner of the BlackBerry PlayBook tablet home screen view bar that I’ve circled below in red.
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bookmarks
You might be wondering at this point: How do I change my settings so that my BlackBerry PlayBook tablet opens up my favorite homepage instead of displaying my bookmarks? To do this, swipe down from the bezel, select “Options” and toggle the “For a New Page Show” setting from “My Bookmarks” to “My Home Page”. You can then specify what page should be loaded by entering the web address in the “Home Page” field.
BlackBerry PlayBook tablet bookmarks
Besides changing the “For a New Page Show” setting, you also have the ability to customize several options such as which search engine is used by default, and the ”Remember Open tabs When I Start Browser” setting.
What was the first setting you customized in the browser on your BlackBerry PlayBook tablet? Leave a comment and let me know.

No comments: